Saturday, April 6, 2019

Find your truth tellers


The 2018 World’s 12 Most Powerful Women according to Forbes: Angela Merkel, Theresa May, Christine Lagarde, Mary Barra, Abigail Johnson, Melinda Gates, Susan Wojcicki, Ana Patricia Botin, Marillyn Hewson, Ginni Rometty, Sheryl Sandberg, Gail Boudreaux

I feel fortunate to be surrounded by the most extraordinary women.
I trust my instincts to make decisions and a big part of that is knowing whom I can trust, or whether I can trust anyone at all. Because no matter who you are, part of success means recognizing the people who can help you get where you want to go. I make sure I surround myself with people who are going to be honest with me and look out for my best interests.
There are people who understand their team, environment or processes and are willing to voice their observations. Find these people, keep in regular communication, and let them know you value their observations. 
Trusting others is like giving up control and letting someone else drive, they're in control of where you go and how you get there. I can't sit in the passenger seat unless I am 100% confident I can trust the driver, and one thing I know for sure, is that there are a lot of bad drivers out there.
Surrounding yourself with excellent people is especially challenging when you're successful. Everyone wants to be part of the team. You have to be careful about whom you choose to keep close, and who needs to find a different day job.
A hammer can destroy or it can build; a knife in the wrong hands can kill you, but in a doctor's hands it can heal you. You're only as good as the tools you've chosen. I am meticulous about putting my key people in place; I take a long time to but an ideal team, but when I finally get everyone I need, I stay committed to keeping the team intact.
And my MVP is the one who has the balls to tell me the truth, even when I don't want to hear it.
But highly successful people rarely get to hear the truth; they're surrounded by people who go to tremendous lengths to keep their place in the circle of trust by managing the truth, shovelling polite opinions and puffy compliments, and generally keep the boss happy.
But the boss doesn't always need to be happy. Sometimes he needs an honest smack in the head. You want to be the most valuable player in the circle? Be the one who looks the leader in the eye and tell him what everyone else is afraid to say. He might hate it, he might hate you are saying it, but a true leader knows when he's being set straight. And guaranteed, the next time he needs to know whom he can trust, he'll be looking for you.
There are some who speak, and I have my doubts.
There are others who speak, and I listen.
Then there are the few who speak, and I believe.

No comments: