Saturday, March 9, 2019

Our presence speaks volumes before we say a word

The nude Mona Lisa – a charcoal sketch of a naked woman known as the Monna Vanna - might Have been drawn by Leonardo da Vinci, according to investigators from the Center for Research and Restoration of the Museums of France (C2RMF), following extensive testing.  The drawing’s hands and body bear a striking resemblance to the Mona Lisa, one of Da Vinci’s most famous pieces on display at the Louvre.

In a survey, "grooming and polish" was chosen by more respondents than "physical attractiveness" or "body type" as a key contributor to executive presence. It's a huge relief for me that the success factor relies less on what I was born with; rather, what I do with what I've got.

My Success Coach tells me that attire has a real impact on careers. It's also one of the first aspects we notice about someone. Over the years I've seen, and heard a lot of commentary around executive attire - most of it behind people's back. Nowadays, I carry this adage with me: dress for the job you want, not the job you have. I keep my wardrobe updated and make sure my clothes are properly fitted. Styles change as do waistlines. Even on casual Fridays, I will dress for presence, not for comfort. 
Seeing an ex-colleague of mine recently with revealing clothes at work reminds me of the words of Coco Chanel: "Dress shabbily, they notice the dress. Dress impeccably, they notice the woman."

Aside from dressing, my Success Coach constantly reminds me that how I act and how I speak are equally important with how I look.

Time and time again I made costly mistakes. Take my centre court joker phase. I may have what it takes to be the office joker but I failed to understand words and actions underline or undermine our executive presence. I now understand that my early struggles to command attention and respect did not centre on my work ethics and knowledge but centred on the way I presented myself. Twenty years later I hit another image problem. It turns out executive presence needed to be nurtured, invested in, curated. I failed to do this and fell flat on my face.


No man or woman attains a top job, lands an extraordinary deal, or develop a significant following without this combination of confidence, poise and authenticity. You may actually hit the numbers, attain the ratings or have a transformative idea. rather it's a matter of image whether you signal to others that you are star material.
If your presence doesn't make an impact, your absence won't make a difference.

No comments: