Sunday, March 24, 2019

Lead with compassion

A premature ejaculation drug has sparked a $150million legal battle. Jeff Abraham tried to sell his sexual wellness start-up to Reckitt Benckiser for two years - opening his books to RB during confidential negotiations - only to find RB advertising a new PE treatment just like it after the negotiations fizzled. The case illustrates the challenges faced by a scrappy startup with giant multinational companies using their large presence in the marketplace to bully.

If you have been bullied as a child or adult, you know how demeaning it feels.

The department of Justice defines bullying as "repeated acts that involve an imbalance of power" between dominating individuals and meeker ones. They cite three kinds of bullying: physical, verbal (making threats) and psychological (intimidation, social exclusion). My intuitive read on bullies is that they're power-obsessed, eerily empty and devoid of empathy. Anger darkens their hearts.

Over the years I have learned to address anger, whether justified or not, and learn how to cope. You are like my younger self, if you are one of these:

...when I'm hurt, I want to hurt the other person
...little things make me mad
...I am frequently irritable, bossy and argumentative
...I say things during a conflict that I regret later
...I make judgmental and cutting remarks
...my anger hurt loved ones
...I hold onto resentments
...I lose my temper in traffic jams and queues

Today, as I proactively work on developing compassion and empathy, I am much nearer to a peaceful zone. Sure, you can act spitefully and dump anger on others. Being compassionate doesn't mean you'll never get angry or that you'll be a doormat.

A coworker takes credit for your ideas. Mention this to the coworker, your boss or HR, and don't trust him with ideas in the future. However, try to forgive the coworker for being such a greedy, insecure, mean-spirited person that he has to stoop so low as to steal from you.

In our society, people tend to use words as weapons. I am a sales leader. I make my living using words. I know that words matter. We all have a slip of the tongue or a moment of verbal indiscretion. Maybe more important, I've learned of the degrading effect that inappropriate words can have on all of us.


Muhammad Ali said it best :“ I don’t trust anyone who’s nice to me but rude to the waiter. Because they would treat me the same way if I were in that position,"

No comments: