Saturday, September 15, 2018

The power of progress

Coca-Cola vs Starbucks. Coca-Cola announced recently that it would buy British coffee-shop chain Costa Coffee for $5.1 billion - a move which is likely to have a major impact on Starbucks. The first Starbucks store opened in 1971 in Seattle and over the course of 1990s and 2000s grew into a massive organization. Coca-Cola was first sold at a soda fountain in Atlanta in 1886. sales for that first year added up to a grand total of $50. Today Coca-Cola is the largest beverage manufacturer and distributor in the world. 

It's an important question to ask ourselves: "Am I making progress?"

The reason I point this out is because progress animates us. It brings us to life. When we sense that we are making progress, we tend to be filled with passion, energy, enthusiasm, purpose and a real and sustainable joy. 

Are you making progress? Are you a better person today than you were a year ago? Are you happier? Are you a better partner? parent? child? leader? colleague? friend? Are you healthier? Are you more financially independent than you were a year ago? Is your work becoming more and more satisfying? 

Progress is moving towards a goal.  For every person the answer to what we wish to progress toward would be different.

Baby steps are the secret  Small victories lead to large victories. 

I take time at the end of each day, even at intervals throughout the day, to reflect on the progress I have made. I consider the different areas of my life. In some, I have made progress; I celebrate that progress. 

In other areas, I have stagnated or regressed; I don't beat myself up about it. If I fail in some way, I consciously take time to identify what I have learned from the experience. I have learned to see even my defeats are part of the process, as progress. I am a work in progress. 

Sometimes there comes a point on our journey when we become so locked up in the daily humdrum when we inevitably question the journey at all. Are we going in the right direction? How long until we get there? How much more of this can we take? Maybe it's event time to turn back.

Anyone who's ever gone to the gym knows that the results aren't immediate. You don't spend thirty minutes on the treadmill and look like a new person. But that doesn't mean what you're doing isn't working. With each exercise, each step, each movement, each action, you get a little better, a little closer. You're making progress. 

Until one day you look in the mirror and think, "Wow!"

It's the same thing with your work or your health or your career or your relationships. Even when you don't see anything happening, it is. Even when you're not hitting the mark , you're making progress. 

Until one day you look at your bank balance or your new job and think, "Wow!" 


No comments: