Sunday, September 23, 2018

Stop comparing

The AI Arms Race between the US and China is heating up. Ex- Google CEO Eric Schmidt said it won’t be long before China overtakes the US in the development of advanced artificial intelligence. A potato thief in Jianxing was caught when authorities used AI-powered facial-recognition technology to identify him from a crowd of more than 20,000 people attending a performance by Hong Kong crooner Jacky Cheung. The country that eventually leads in AI will have an advantage in nearly every industry. Second place might as well be last place.

Are you addicted to comparing yourself with others? Perhaps a coworker who gets more recognition and attention? A friend who's got more benefits and entitlements while you're working triple overtime? Though you may want to be happy for others, sometimes you just can't.

If you're single, you might envy apparently contentedly married friends in a way that leaves you painfully diminished. Though you wish them all the happiness in the world, you might secretly hope their relationship fails. It's difficult to admit - to ourselves or others - that we don't want the best for others, because their attributes, assets or accomplishments make us feel small.

Envy has been an important teacher for me. I've never felt envious of most people, but in my younger years I'd turn acidic when a peer, "deserving" or not, got a promotion. I felt "less than," overlooked, invisible.

I've made strides in overcoming it. Now I feel triumphant whenever I'm pleased for another's accolades without feeling slighted. As my self-esteem has grown, my envy has faded. The gateway is about discovering my self-worth, not raising it. The problem is not my actual worth, but my perceived worth.

The fact is, you are not inferior. No one is better than you, despite their moments of glory.

Comparing is a natural tendency we all have - we are a society of comparison junkies. It's productive if you're inspired to emulate another's impressive traits. Interestingly, it's more common to feel inferior to those with "more" than to feel grateful compared to those with "less."

Only when we stop blaming our boss or parents or partners or children or circumstances or fate can we change our lives and say "I chose where I am now, and I can choose something better." As an old proverb says, "Take it as a blessing or take it as a test; whatever happens, happens for the best."

Yoko Ono says, "transform jealousy to admiration, and what you admire will become part of your life" - an inspiring credo to live by.


 

No comments: