Saturday, August 18, 2018

We remember moments

#1 food experience in the world is Spain's pintxos…according to Lonely Planet. Curry laksa in Kuala Lumpur is #2 followed by sushi in Tokyo. Beef brisket in Texas is #4 and som tum in Bangkok is #5. Koreans would be proud that bibimbap is #8 and Italians likewise with Pizza margherita at #9. Dim sum in Hong Kong makes up the top 10.

Arne Sorensen, Marriott CEO has this to say: "People value experience over "stuff."


Success is not a destination - it is a journey. Enjoy the journey. Whether you are setting out to become a legend, a hero, a champion, a star, a leader or a saint - enjoy the journey. 


We are conditioned from birth to chase milestones. It begins when everyone makes a fuss over our first birthday. Next it's time for school. Shortly after, we become teenagers. Then it's 17 - a driver's license. Next we're off to university. Somewhere down the road, after all the hustle to go to the right school, get the right degree, find the right job, buy the right house in the right part of town, have the right friends and the right clothes and the right car, somewhere along the way and unfortunately too late for some of us, we realize that life is far more about moments than it is about milestones. If we focus solely on the milestones, think of all you're missing in between.


I'm as guilty as anyone; I admit it. I've been chasing milestones. I'm not a workaholic, but I am driven. I'm driven to chase the next big thing. 


But I'm at a point now in my life where I've learned that if all you're doing is chasing milestones, you miss out on the opportunities to create memories. Then milestones end up feeling a little underwhelming once you get there to celebrate them. They're not as rewarding; they're not as exciting. 


Don't put off important things using a destination, or an achievement as an excuse. "When I am 40," "When I buy my new 5 series BMW!" "When I put my last kid through university." "When I get a promotion." "When I reach the age of retirement, I shall live happily ever after." 


Sooner or later we must realise that there is no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The destination is only an illusion. It constantly outdistances us.



 

No comments: