Sunday, August 5, 2018

Can you handle criticism?

48C (118.4F). Europe sizzles as searing temperatures approach record peak. Seoul saw its hottest day in 111 years when scorching temperatures hit 39.6 degrees. Heatwaves like these are becoming the new normal.

Can you handle the heat of criticism?


Criticism can hurt. It bludgeons our confidence.  The problem is that many people acclimate to them, feel chronically beaten or end up emotionally shutting down. Energetically, it can feel like you've absorbed a round of machine gun fire.


No one can avoid being criticized. No matter what your position or profession, you will be subject to criticism at some periods of your life. If you hold a position of responsibility, you will be subject to criticism.


Criticism can only deflate our mood if we buy into it. A good general rule I take is try not to take personally even what's meant personally. People say untrue things all the time. I always try to consider the source.


Criticizers believe it's their God-given right to offer what they deem "constructive criticism." People have all kinds of opinions about how we "should" feel or be. Criticism that is based on spite or jealousy is very hard to accept because it is unfair. It is hostile in intent.


Don't stoop to the low level of your critic. A dignified and restrained silence is your best reply. As the Dalai Lama suggests, "sometimes silence is the best answer." There may be times when it will be necessary to refute criticism that is false. This is especially true when it is criticism that verges on the edge of slander that is damaging to your personal or professional life. 


If a co-worker criticizes you for talking loudly, keep talking, but tone your voice down. Sometimes compromise goes a long way. 


We all enjoy being praised. But the disagreeable and critical things that people say about us can also be of use. Be willing to acknowledge criticism that is true. Don't be too stubborn to learn from criticism. I always heed a beneficial criticism , whether it's solicited or not. Of course criticism is harder to digest if delivered in cutting tone. Then it's your call to assess its worth.


Those who wish to be free from criticism inevitably end up doing nothing worthwhile. I am often criticized. It is not something I will ever become accustomed to, and it drains tremendous energy from me if I am not careful.  I like to always reflect on this quote:


"I do the very best I know how - the best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If that end brings me out all right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference" - Abraham Lincoln.


No comments: