Sunday, December 4, 2016

Life is relationship

I received my first Christmas greeting e-card this week. It was from Ilona in Los Angeles. In it, she wrote, "Thank you for always being there for me and know that I appreciate you tremendously!"

It is helpful to remember that we are all at different points along a path. Some people are at places we ourselves have been before, others are in places we have not yet been. It is a journey. Along the way, we will meet many people. Some of them we will help, assist, advise. Others will help, assist and advise us. It has been my experience that when you think you are there to help someone else, chances are they are really there to help you. Our students make the best teachers. Without the help of others, we will never make the journey.

My father always told me that the key to success in business is personal relationships. I have discovered that life is relationship.

It doesn't matter how many people are around us. If there is no one who understands us, or accepts us as who we are, loneliness can very readily present its agonising self. Loneliness isn't a lack of people. It is a lack of understanding and acceptance.

It is very different than being alone. Sometimes, I may be alone, but I am never lonely. Loneliness is a longing for the company of one who understands us.

Having previously been to painful places and to high levels of sadness and loneliness, I now understand the pain some of my friends are experiencing is real and tangible to them. If I could help ease the pain, then why wouldn't I?

Friends...how loosely that word is used  at times and there are so many different levels of friends. I have begun to think of some of my own "friends" more as warm acquaintances. It doesn't mean I thought less of them. They are still a blessing in my life but having been to some pretty dark places myself by now, I understand what a real friend is. It is easy to have a lot of acquaintances but when it comes to the crunch, though, not many people can hang around through the very worst of the pain with someone else. Those who do are truly friends.

The right relationships fortify our resilience and fearlessness, empowering success in all aspects of our lives. No matter what happens, we know we are not alone. We know someone's got our backs.

Don't lose touch with the friends you value. Those who accept you as who you are, and who know you very well, are worth more than anything in the end. Don't let life get in the way. Just always know where to find them and let them know you appreciate them in the meantime.


No comments: