Saturday, December 24, 2016

Humour - a key virtue in life

It's Christmas eve and while Pentatonix sing "Joy to the World"on Spotify, I read a quote posted on Facebook. It reads: "Health does not come from medicine. Most of the time, it comes from peace of mind, peace in the heart and peace of soul. It comes from laughter and love."

There is a growing body of evidence that shows how important laughter is, not only for coping but for our physical health, too. Finding the humour in things injects moments of playfulness and fun in between the unpleasant stuff.

Another use for humour is that we can use it to bring up serious subjects with a light touch so that others may listen. In everyday life, a quick riposte is another way to feel powerful in an argument. Sometimes, we think of the witty comeback too late ot use it, but we try to come up with one anyway, so that we can at least feel superior after the fact.

I gain new insights from listening to jokes. Humour gives me courage to transcend life's scariest moments or to express wisdom in an acceptable way. When I make other people laugh, I may give them courage to deal with life's scarier moments as well.

I never take myself too seriously. I try to minimise tension and concern and worry with laughter at my predicaments, thus freeing my mind to think clearly for the solution that is sure to come.

Try it. It's a much better way to live.




No comments: