Saturday, November 19, 2016

Why Worry?

"Are you worried?" Siew Fong queried point-blankedly. "Now that the two companies are integrating"

I used to love the Dire Straits album titled "Brothers in Arms." The last song on the album is "Why Worry." The song speaks about the inevitability of problems in our lives. It also reminds us of the hope that brings us through dark times.

We worry about a lot of things, don't we? I know I do. Some nights I lie in bed and my mind is just racing with things I need to do, or things I need to tell others about. I have to stop, consciously, and remind myself that I am imagining all these scenarios, and they are not real. I do this by reminding myself that in the past, situations have never worked out the way I thought they would.

I don't know if you have noticed, but things very rarely work out the way we think they will. So why worry?

As I look back on the things I have spent endless hours worrying about, they never worked out the way I thought they would, but they did work out.

The peace that followed this acceptance was beautiful. There were days when I couldn't be happy, but I think that accepting this leads to a more peaceful existence anyway.

My body had always been a great indicator of where my emotions had been. If heartburn or acid reflux would present itself, I could recognize where my thoughts and feelings had been in the days or weeks leading up to this.

But telling people not to worry is like telling them not to think of a white elephant. How often we hear people say, "Worrying won't help" or "Worrying is not going to change anything." As true as those words are, they don't make people say, "You're absolutely right. I won't worry anymore."

Problems are inevitable in a marriage, in a career or business and in health and well-being. There will be laughter after pain; there will be sunshine after rain. It has always been this way, so why do we spend so much of our time and energy consumed with worry?

Life goes so fast, whether you live until your twenties, forties or eighties. Everyday in itself is a gift and blessing. It is all we ever have anyway, the moment we are in.


No comments: