Sunday, April 3, 2016

Coaching my teen

Today, when I worked with ACE and coached him in preparation for the upcoming elocution competition, I was shuttled back in time to my heydays as state champion for two consecutive years.

Deep down, there is a part of us that wants to hold on to the days of our youth. I think that all guys  are gripped with those feelings sometimes.

The good news is that most of us are motivated by the same thing. We want to see our children grow up to be independent, self-sufficient adults who make sound decisions. On the face of it, then, we parents and our teenagers both want the same outcome. The devil, as they say, is in the details. While we both may want the same thing, we may not see eye to eye on how this is best accomplished, and we may not see eye to eye on what the best outcome is.

No comments: