Sunday, April 10, 2016

Accept that we are not superhuman

"There is no subsitute for hard work," This line was repeated several times in the movie Walt Before Mickey which depicted that Walt's life was tough.....but not as hard as watching this movie.

Our culture loves dedicated  and committed people. You know the type: the first in the office, the last to leave, work 24/7, eager to take on a new project, months of unused vacation days. Many people confuse working long, hard hours with achieving results.

Don't get me wrong. I am not against hard labour. I have had my share of slogging through the nights and weekends. Perserverance plays a role in making our dreams come true.

Today, my redefinition of the term "commitment", is a single-minded sense of purpose that is fueled by the energy of a personal vision. Being exceptional is not about being everything and everywhere.

My leadership style has change dramatically. I now know that if I am leading by starting too many initiatives, the results are certain to disappoint. My experience has shown me that the best-performing teams put forth only three or four initiatives a year.

As an ex-footballer, I understand that pacing is a critical part of sports training. Busi-ness leaders, however, get into a cycle of setting impossible expectations for themselves.

Driving for results by adding pressure and tension blocks people's creativity and ability to focus, leaving them feeling inadequate or ineffective at coping with the circumstances - which undermines competence. The danger of drive is that it distracts people from what really makes them dance. When team members thrive, leaders don't need to drive.



No comments: