Friday, October 8, 2010

No right or wrong answer

"My parents live in the province, 3 hours away from Bangkok," Khun Nuch said after swallowing her prawn. "I visit them evry month."

I have known people who visit their parents every day. I know of others who visit much less often. And I have come to understand that it is unfair to measure love by how often one visits or calls.

I have come to a negotiated peace with myself. I speak with my parents once a week on the phone, a habit we established over 5 years ago when I relocated to Singapore. I am grateful that they are alert and able to do this. It gives me great comfort to be able to speak with them and know that they are OK. I try to visit them once every 6 weeks.

And there is no right or wrong answer. The answer is, the answer changes with every individual.

No comments: