Sunday, June 23, 2019

Stop stressing over shitty people

The "Thrones" prequel - set thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones - chronicles the world's descent from the Golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. Filming has begun, Naomi Watt stars, and there'll be no dragons.

Hollywood is obsessed with prequels and origin stories. We all have our "origin stories." No matter how far you go in life, never forget where you came from. Only gravediggers start from the top.

I've become increasingly concerned over the rising sense of entitlement in this part of the world. I've encountered it all over the place: as a leader, working with peers and colleagues, interacting with customers and partners, and certainly through my time spent with other leaders.

What's tripping me up is that it's not just the well-to-do, the lucky, or the elite who feel entitled - it's so many "ordinary" people, those yet to make any meaningful contributions. They haven't have fame or notoriety. They don't have name recognition. They don't have leverage. They don't have multiple degrees. They haven't invented anything important. 

Ask yourself this simple questions: Would you rather live next door to a man who is kind and thoughtful or to a man who is mean and self-centred? Would you rather work for a woman who is honest and caring or for a woman who is dishonest, conniving and uncaring? Would you rather have friends with integrity or friends who cannot be trusted to do as they say they will do?

I don't know who likes a person who acts entitled. On the other hand, people always respect folks who deliver. I'm around people who love those who work hard, who prove themselves, earn their power and respect, and earn their way in the world. And who do it with integrity. That's the path to true success.

Over the years I have met literally tens of thousands of people, but as I look back on it all, there are certain people whom I remember, others whom I admire and a handful whom I deeply respect. Some people are memorable because they are warm and welcoming, and others because they make you laugh until you have cramps in your cheeks. Then there are people I admire.

I admire people for so many different reasons. I admire people who take care of themselves physically, because I know how hard it is to do that. I admire great talent. Musicians, writers, actors, all exercising their talents on an extraordinary level fascinates me and I admire that. 

I admire the building of great businesses. Many of my good friends are business leaders and entrepreneurs, and I often marvel at the way their minds work. But over the years in my personal reflection, I have constantly asked myself: what do I respect? At a deep level, I think there is only one thing I truly and deeply respect over and over again in time, and that is virtue. Virtue in other people challenges me. The thing that strikes me most about people of genuine virtue, is that whether I agree with them or disagree with them ideologically, I cannot help but respect them.

I learned my lesson. Money and possessions have their appeal, rapidly advancing careers can fuel our egos but character is what will see you through good times and bad. Now I try to make character my number-one priority in every sphere of my life.


No comments: