Sunday, January 13, 2019

Don't freak out

Paris' all-nude restaurant, O'naturel, where diners are dressed less than their salads is all set to shut due to lack of customers.

No matter how often we're told not to "judge a book by its cover," we do. We make judgements about other people based on their appearance, especially first impression of that appearance. We make assumptions about people's personalities, backgrounds and intentions based on height, weight, race, gender, clothing, accessories and hairstyles. It's an instinctive response that can't be turned off. 


Whether we're conscious of it or not, the image we project makes a big difference to our professional life. 


In reality, physical appearance is only one component of our image. No one can capture exactly what executive presence is, but people with executive presence display one observable behaviour -  calm, even-keeled, composed and in control at all times. 


It's easy to be calm in a serene environment but to be calm and serene when under attack is much more difficult. It is said, it's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.  


This year I resolve to stop freaking out when I find myself in tough situations. I will work on developing a sense of calm when it comes to managing crises. 


When you freak out, you lose all sense of perspective and logic; your ability to make good decisions almost completely disappears.


Remaining calm is the most effective way to navigate any dangers or problems. So many gifts come along with age. Today , I know I am better equipped to stay calm during the storm of life because I've become more mature and level headed in general.


But I also know it's not about just experience or age. It's about how you approach a situation while driving to work in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Or how we can act responsively rather than reactively when family or colleagues want to argue.


I try to catch early warning signs such as rushing, forcing an issue, and becoming demanding or impatient. When I'm anxious, I huffily insist on talking to people's supervisors if I perceive my needs aren't being met (for example, like being kept interminably on the phone with computer tech support). I hope by identifying these behaviours lets me take charge of them so anxiety doesn't destroy my people skills.


I have made this vow: "I will never have a conversation with someone, send an email or make a decision when gripped by anxiety." No matter what the upset is, I will try not to act until I have gained calm and composure.


I am training myself not to turn life into one big emergency.



No comments: