Sunday, November 11, 2018

Endure the pain. Enjoy the gain



Mickey Mouse turns 90. Mickey made his official debut in 1928 in “Steamboat Willie,” Hollywood’s first cartoon with synchronized sound. Today, Disney has five of the top 10 grossing global hit movies of all time, selling a cumulative $8.4 billion worth of movie tickets. But behind all of that was one ambitious small-town farm boy who failed as often as he succeeded, and finally found worldwide fame – thanks to a cartoon mouse.
Behind every "overnight success" are years of focused effort, struggle, challenge and rejection. 
I took part in my first dragon boat race last week. I can tell you this with utmost certainty: Enthusiasm is common, endurance is rare. 
I started incredibly strong. I tend to come out of the gates full of force and not strategize my pacing. Halfway through the event, I hit a physical wall. I grimaced in pure exhaustion and wanted to stop. But I kept moving, focusing on the present and embracing the current step. 
In your life and work, you too will experience these moments. I've personally experience them, and I know you can relate.
But endurance is what separates the master from the masses and the amateur from the professional. It separates those who stay focus and persistent on a long enough timeline to watch all their dreams come true.
Endurance is not sexy, it's not flashy. It includes countless moments of doubt and wanting to stop. However, if you last long enough, you'll come out the other side recognizing how this piece of the puzzle puts it all together on your way to the top of the mountain.
The trick is....never compare your start or middle to someone else's ending, or you're never endure. Remember: your mountain is yours.
It's usually the small, undramatic, sustained efforts over time that make the most difference. Even if you're exhausted and on the verge of giving up - take the step.
Focus on taking today's step, understanding that you're building a rock-solid foundation. Understand that at every moment you're crafting your unique story and journey. One day, if you endure long enough, others will call you can overnight success.

No comments: