Sunday, October 21, 2018

Loss can give you an advantage

Rated as one of the most terrifying horror books ever written, The Haunting of Hill House is now a new Netflix Original Series as part of their lineup of pre-Halloween horror movies. The scary and unexpectedly moving 10-episode series tell a family drama that's concerned with the lasting impact of grief, loss and tragedy. 

As strange as it may sound, loss does create leaders based on the strength born of struggle.

At the end of the day, we're dealt the cards we're dealt to make us stronger. The cards I've been dealt in my twenties - my money problems and the loss of my fiancĂ©e and the loss of my job - have not made me stronger but also made me the leader I am today. Not only that, my losses give me a competitive advantage.

I remember asking God, "What's my purpose here?" And sometimes you have to be careful asking questions like that, because God may actually answer you.

I'm sure I would have been obnoxious, self-absorbed but very lonely. Loss has saved me.

That's how loss creates leaders. Loss fires your spirit and it steels your mettle. You have experienced your own personal pain: the loss of a job, a personal betrayal, a major disappointment. And out of that pain, you gain not only strength and a competitive advantage but also something more essential: learning. Learning is the source of your advantage.

There's a hard lesson in life's setbacks: leaders are forged through loss. It's a scientific fact: you cannot have a rainbow without a storm.


No comments: