Saturday, June 23, 2018

Facing frustratiom and disappointment

Kim Jong In and Donald Trump did their best to set aside 60 years of dark history and distrust as well as their own jabs at each other. They shared a smile and a lingering handshake before their nations’ flags and the anxious eyes of the world.

Every day there are plenty of good reasons to be vexed. A long queue. Telemarketers. People don't do what they're supposed to do. Rejection. Disappointment. How to deal with it all?

At our own risk, we've become too used to immediate results. Emails zip across the globe in seconds. Parents text their kids about dinner. You can get the temperature in London with a click of the mouse. These digital age's marvels has propagated an emotional zeitgeist with a low tolerance for frustration.

Sooner or later, in business or the most loving relationships, you'll get disappointed, and you'll disappoint others. There will always be disappointments; mindfully dealing with them is what counts.

Frustration makes us tense and kills ours sense of humour. Disappointment is a form of frustration that occurs when our expectations are dashed. Conquering frustration and dealing with disappointment are skills I'm trying to learn so I can quickly bounce back.

I'm fed up with letting frustrations get the best of me. Nowadays, I constantly give myself pep talks: "I'm going to behave in a new way because the old way isn't working." When something aggravates me, the old way is to brood on it, which can taint an otherwise lovely day. The new way is to tackle the incident for instance, if I get a flat tire which cause me to miss an important meeting, I feel the frustration and express it to a friend. But I cut it short by not staying focused on it. Now, I try to focus on the positive. In any situation, there's always something positive if you look for it. I try not to turn a frustrating ten minutes into a frustrating day.

Next time, when someone says they can't see any good in you, just hug them. Because life can be very difficult for the blind.


No comments: