Sunday, April 22, 2018

Stop comparing yourself to others

PricewaterhouseCoopers estimated that global revenue from the sharing economy would reach $335 billion by 2025. Led by platforms like Uber and Airbnb could the sharing economy help end poverty? China believe the sharing economy is their gift to the world with bike-sharing Ofo to umbrellas to folding stools to basketballs to even sex dolls.

Investors today prefer asset-light companies. Owning and having more does not mean worth more.

As a recovering workaholic, admittedly I still have a lot I want to achieve in my life. However, its taken me a long time, but for me, success now can never be about just what I "do" or "have'. It's when I can laugh, and feel happy about the tiniest thing. It's having a peaceful mind and some blessed downtime rather than knotting myself in frustration, especially when things fall apart. I don't always succeed at this, but I am learning.

You don't have to be old or sick or in crisis, though unfortunately many people require these radical incentives for their beliefs to change. There's nothing like facing your mortality or experiencing depression to quickly crystallize priorities.

Comparing is part of human nature. Nearly everyone does it. I don't care how much money people make or how "perfect" their life seems. Happy people focus on what they have. Unhappy people focus on what's missing. Turn your attitude around. Shift your mind-set to focus on what you do have and what you're grateful for in life, not what you're lacking.

This isn't to say that being motivated to accomplish new feats and acquire new possessions is bad - only that it's bad when your motivation is based in the false belief that accomplishing or acquiring something new is necessary to feel better about yourself.

The most effective methods I've ever used to practice my gratitude is called negative visualization. It means imagining your life WITHOUT something you already have...without your car.  Without your job. Without your best friend. Without your eyes, even. Damn, life would be hard.

Give to others what you most desire for yourself. If you want to be appreciated, appreciate others. If you want your work to be valued, value others; work. If you want love, give love. If you want a successful career, help another's career to flourish.

Don't take anything for granted.



No comments: