Saturday, September 30, 2017

Learn from mistakes. Otherwise the lessons will get harder

"Dotard" was the highest searched word on Google for a day last week. That was Kim Jong-un’s latest insult to Donald Trump after Trump referred to him as "Rocket Man."

In my experience, it is not easy to be vulnerable when people are looking to you as their leader. But I also find that sharing my story with people in ways that exposes my vulnerability connects me deeper with others and enables me to form authentic relationships.

Loss is personal for me. In my youth, I was financially illiterate and was too proud to admit it. I would make a dollar and spend a dollar and fifty cents. The more money I made, the more broke I got. Eventually I understood that life wasn't about making more money; it was about making better decisions with the money I made.

I won't sugarcoat the truth: for every stirring success, there was a crushing failure. That's my life.

We can't undo our errors, but we can learn from them. If we don't learn, the lessons get harder. Regretting our mistakes is not the same as learning the lesson.

We are not here to be perfect, but to live and learn, to fall and rise again. These painful experiences can become a blessing that transforms your life.

I hope that there is something here for you.


 

No comments: