Sunday, March 13, 2016

Leading high-achievers and other leaders


"We need to measure everything. If you can't measure it, you can't manage it, hence the need for all sorts of metrics," a General Manager insisted on this philosophy.

Mr General Manager, please reframe that belief. Of course, we need to measure many things in life and work. But, if we are leading leaders or high-achievers, we need to become more mindful of promoting driving but thriving - such as care, joy and gratitude - all not easily measured.

I am not a total megalomaniac. I recognize that many of the top talent in my team whom I am supposed to lead are smarter and more talented than me. Many of the them are themselves leaders.

Being a leader of other leaders is a privileged position.

I have since learned that we don't get the best out of these talented people by hitting them with an iron rod. That worked with the slaves in building the pyramids and great wall of China. With highly-skilled people whose influence are substantially above the average, we do so by gaining their respect and helping them understand that the impossible was possible.

When I was younger I was more inclined to be severe. I cringe when I think back to those days. Nowadays, I take a different approach. There is no benefit in engaging in public hangings. It humiliates the victim and does not do much to encourage those around him. While not always succeeding in the heat of the moment, I would try to reserve my severest comments for a private session with the individual.

I couldn't count the number of times where I helped my team members with personal matters, and I'm proud of the fact that they trusted me. In these situations I acted as a priest, father or MP - whatever it takes. Even to this day, some of my former team members still come to me for advice; this is a reflection of the trust that underpinned our relationship.

Unless you understand people, it's hard to motivate them. Everybody is different, and I came to learn that they all required different care and feeling.

I am not doing these things because I was trying to emulate Mother Teresa, I am doing them because I had gradually came to understand this back-door route to inspiring high-achievers
 

No comments: